Sunday, June 21, 2015

June Menu, and a sort of Pantry Challenge

Happy June!
It is H-O-T here, but I am not complaining as long as I can retreat to the air conditioning. :)
I've taken a look at our budget, and we need to tighten up a little, so we're beginning a small pantry challenge this week - just using what we have, and trying to do without if we run out, when possible.
I've inventoried our freezer, and I believe we can go to the the end of the month with no shopping trips, so that's my goal.
Here's the plan:
Sunday~ HAPPY FATHER'S DAY! My sweet hubby will be away from us doing graduate coursework, so we celebrated with my dad (and mom) with burgers, cucumber salad, corn on the cob, baked beans, and banana pudding at my parents' house, followed by a swim in the pool.  Not a bad deal at all!
Monday~
lunch: chicken tenders, salad (tons of lettuce, tomatoes from the garden)
dinner: chili
Tuesday~
lunch: frozen pizza, salad
dinner: chicken taco salad with tortilla chips
Wednesday~
lunch: turkey sandwich (ds), salad
dinner: leftovers (turn chili into nachos if desired)
Thursday~
lunch: chicken tenders, salad
dinner: dinner out with friends for me. Ds may be spending the night with friends.
Friday~
lunch: leftovers
dinner: hamburgers & fries
Saturday~
lunch: leftovers
dinner: sticky chicken, potatoes, broccoli or green beans, salad

I've tried to plan out lunch and dinner to save some coin.  All these recipes use what we already have on hand.  I will supplement with some baking and we should be in good shape!

I had a chat with ds#3 about summertime lunches, asking what he liked, explaining that we won't go out much in order to save money.  He gave me the teenage favorites of chicken tenders and pizza!  A few weeks ago, I received some coupons from BzzAgent to try Red Baron Brick Oven pizzas, and my son really liked them.  I purchased a couple since the initial trial, and he specifically requested those for the lunch rotation.  We have a winner!  You can see above that I have included them in our lunchtime specials! :)





No comments: