Monday, January 19, 2015

Pantry Challenge week #3 and our menu

We are entering week #3 of our Pantry Challenge.
So far, I have learned:
*We're pretty good at using up leftovers.
*My husband uses eating out as a way to de-stress (which I already kind of knew, but it's now confirmed).
*We eat a LOT of meat.  Which is expensive.  Which is understandable since I'm cooking mostly Paleo, but it's not easy on the budget.


This is what I *did* have planned for this week:
Jan 18 - Hawaiian BBQ chicken (crock pot) - chicken with bbq sauce, pineapple, onion and bell pepper  we also have lots of pineapple in the freezer!
Jan 19 - HOLIDAY!  Pioneer Woman's chili
Jan 20 - Leftover turkey slices in the freezer, Swiss beans, sauteed greens (growing in our garden) 
Jan 21 - bowling night for hubs  Leftovers
Jan 22 - Orange chicken, stir fry veggies (a veg medley that I've had in the freezer and haven't used yet!!)
Jan 23 - Swedish meatballs w/gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans
Jan 24 - Stuffed peppers and fried eggplant (both in the freezer)

But last week, I went out of town, and Hubs decided he wanted to eat in (which he did some) so I prepped some food that I had planned for this week, and he ate it last week.  So I'm having to revamp just a little.  You can check out what we're actually eating every day here.

Veggie Beef soup with leeks, cabbage, Swiss chard, carrots, celery, and tomatoes.  So good, and so good for us!!
Sunday~ Vegetable beef soup.  And lots of it.  Yum.
Monday~ Turkey breast with homemade gravy, swiss beans.  Hubs informed me that he'd like to take this for lunch during the week instead of his standard salad.
Tuesday~ Pioneer Woman's chili (minus the beans & masa)
Wednesday~ bowling night for Hubs.  Leftovers for ds#3 & me.
Thursday~ Hawaiian BBQ chicken (crock pot) - chicken with bbq sauce, pineapple, onion and bell pepper.  I will probably also steam some broccoli and make some rice for ds#3.  This is a new recipe - hope it's tasty!
Friday~ Meatballs with gravy, sauteed Swiss chard or broccoli
Saturday~ TBD. I've made the stuffed peppers, so hopefully all will go according to plan and we'll have them this weekend.

I made some homemade LaraBars for lunchboxes this week.  I also cut up and supremed some navel oranges we had (that no one was eating) and made a Citrus Salad with them.  That will be eaten for breakfast or lunch, or just a light sweet treat.








And hop on over to FishMama's Pantry Challenge to be inspired!

No comments: