Monday, July 7, 2014

I can't believe it's JULY! And the start of a Pantry Challenge...

Last week was amazing, and extremely busy.
More about that in a moment.
This week, we're beginning a Pantry Challenge.
I am going to do my best to buy as little as I can from the grocery store, and use up some things that have been lingering in my pantry.  My freezer is in good shape, but I have cans and boxes of things that have probably been in the pantry longer than they should be, so I need to use them up.  This is my time.

Here's the plan:
Sunday~
the day after our oldest son's wedding reception.  We were tired!!!
Lunch & dinner are both leftovers - we have Italian from Thursday night's dinner and burgers from Friday's cookout.  We woke up too late to have breakfast so we went straight to lunch.
Monday~
Lunch: at the bowling alley for ds, leftovers from home for me.  Hubs disappeared somewhere so I don't know what he ate!
Dinner: Turkey breast (from the freezer), homemade gravy, on toasted bread for open-faced sandwiches, along with some fried okra that I bought to make while the big boys were home.  Dessert will be a cheesecake from the freezer.
Tuesday~
Lunch: at the bowling alley again for ds, leftovers or sandwiches at home for dh & me.
Dinner: BBQ chicken sandwiches (made from leftover chicken last week), leftover pasta salad, and perhaps a green salad.  We've finally got some tomatoes coming in!
Wednesday~ 
Lunch: bowling alley & leftovers or sandwiches.
Dinner: Spaghetti, homemade bread, zucchini fingers (from an enormous one given to us by a friend)
Thursday~
Lunch: bowling alley & leftovers or salad.
Dinner: Sandwiches & chips
Friday~
Lunch: bowling alley & leftovers or sandwiches/salads
Dinner: Out at a friend's house - bringing baked beans
Saturday~
TBA...I'll take inventory and reassess.

And as for last week, here's what we did...
All my boys were at home for the first time in 4 years.  I loved every second...even the load of towels I had to wash every day. :) My son and his new wife were home for a wedding reception (since they married in Hawaii in the fall and no one could come.)

Thursday evening...a dinner for the families to meet for the first time


The daughter-in-love adored the "H" that we had filled with succulents.  I'll be shipping it home for them.

4th of July cookout - we had 26 people there, all friends of the bride & groom
They played corn hole for HOURS.

On Saturday: sons #2 & #3 with me, getting ready
And horsing around with Dad



The decor
And Marine Son w/his Dad

We are blessed beyond measure.


No comments: