Saturday, July 19, 2014

A menu for July and continuing the Pantry Challenge


I decided to do a Pantry Challenge this month.  You can see what we're eating each day right here.
I actually have done more shopping than I would like, but I didn't announce the challenge to my guys, so I'm trying to limit my spending without making them crazy.  Last week, we did pretty well - I would say the hit of the week was Thursday, when I used leftover rice, taco meat, lettuce, and cheese and turned it into Mexi Rice Bowls!  I cooked some black beans in my pressure cooker and everyone layered their bowls as they liked, and topped with salsa or sour cream, or both.  Yum!  I've been wanting to try that, and now that I know it's a hit, you can bet we'll do it again.

So here's the plan for our week:
Sunday~ Chicken pesto pasta.  Hubs grilled burgers on Friday, so we threw some chicken breasts on the grill too.  They'll be perfect for this dish! 
Edited to add: he decided we should go out for lunch after church, and we ate so much that no dinner was necessary.  This meal will be moved to Tuesday!
Monday~ Eggplant Parmesan with spaghetti.  This beauty will be the base for our dinner!
Tuesday~ Must-goes: anything in the fridge that must go.  We've got a variety - egg noodles w/beef & gravy, assorted pastas... help yourself.
Wednesday~ I want to do BLTs, but none of the tomatoes in our garden are ready just yet - they are still green (except for the cherries).  If I don't find a pretty tomato, I think I'll do a roasted veggie tart with zucchini slices, eggplant slices, sliced mushrooms, diced tomatoes on top, and a sprinkling of feta.  Sort of like this one, just tailored to the veggies we have on hand.
Thursday~ By this time, my beloved husband will be craving BEEF.  He is a meat-a-tarian, to be sure.  I think we'll try Lawnmower Tacos - we've got some Doritos languishing in the cabinet.
Friday~ TBA...I'll figure out something!  It'll either be breakfast or clean-out-the-fridge for the cookout tomorrow.
Saturday~ Family's coming over for a cookout!  We'll do shrimp, chicken, and sausage on the grill, and I'll make corn on the cob and baked beans.  We have everything except the shrimp and sausage, which we'll get on Saturday morning.  Mom will make her famous potato salad, and sis will bring cole slaw.  I'll be making Fish Mama's chocolate zucchini cake (which I'll slather with chocolate frosting) to celebrate my grandpa's 86th birthday.

Lunches will be sandwiches on the newly successful Cuban bread, or quesadillas, or leftovers.

Check out Good Cheap Eats to do a Pantry Challenge of your own
and
Stop by Menu Plan Monday for tons of menu inspiration!




No comments: